Tuesday, April 26, 2011


I really don't want to work on my essay, so instead...here are some letters. A weekly alphabet for my Handletters course.

Fibrous Update

So! Since I've been posting mostly my illustrations, here are some of my fiber-related works from the past year. While I love working in gouache, watercolor and ink it's such a relief sometimes to embroider (and most recently weave). To be honest, I'm starting to question where my true interests lie. Is it in fibers or illustration? Will it be enough to combine the two, I'm worried that I won't be satisfied with just that. But enough with self-reflection, here is some art!

Our Girls, embroidery on toy purse, 2010

Growth and Progression, embroidery on fabric, 2010
A response to my trip to Turkey last summer

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Weaving Numbah One



Exploration in partial weft, cotton, 15"x72" 

I realized that I've only shown yarn, but I haven't really posted any pictures of my actual weavings...so here you are! These aren't the best photos, but I'm hoping to get some better ones by the end of the year. This was from out first assignment - structure & tool. I did a two-way ombre dye for the warp (ochre-green on the top half and a lavender-periwrinkle on the bottom half) and the weft was all dyed the same color. My tool was essentially my shuttle, and as you can see there are moments where the weft was not shot all the way across, and this was where I ended up using two shuttles. The orange is supplementary weft, although I don't think I'm all to pleased with the excess hanging out. Despite that and some color issues I'm pretty happy with it though! I'm hoping my final for this class will be even better.

On a side note, now that I've taken this class I desperately want a loom, but is it worth getting one now? Oh the difficult decisions in life!

 I finally took some better photos of the weaving, enjoy!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Alphabets Galore!

This was my first time making a repeating pattern and I have to say, it was pretty fun! The pattern here was an assignment for my Handletters class. We had to make a pattern based on alphabets for one of Spoonflower's weekly competitions. I think I'll be making more patterns in the near future :)

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Places and Spaces

These were from my last Illustration II assignment, which was to create three environments that conveyed a specific mood (she gave a list of 6 descriptive words to choose from). The three I chose were "simple", "cluttered" and "quiet". Each were done in watercolor with some colored pencil to finish.

Thursday, April 7, 2011